Is my rooster shooting blanks??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Aug 20, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have a broody who is sitting on her second batch of eggs.

Day 22 and nothing. Second batch of nothing.

What are the odds of that??

I see my roo doing the deed and I have gotten chicks from him before....

What's wrong?

2. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If he's produced before it could be something in the environment that's affecting his fertility, or age (the roo/the hen)?

When we had chickens years ago I had a BO roo that was sterile. If you want to breed it's tragic, if not it's a miracle!! I loved having a super protective roo, he was gorgeous, friendly, kept the girls safe, and I never had to worry about chicks. He was something of a commodity when others found out. I had no trouble finding him a home when we moved, just the opposite, people were fighting over him. [​IMG]

3. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I have a rooster that is shooting blanks, he is now a yard ornimant.
    Have you look at the egg yoke for the bullets?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Did you open that first batch of unhatched eggs to see if they even started to develop? If they did, at what stage did they stop?

There are several different things that can cause eggs not to hatch. It is hard to speculate when we don't have much information.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Bingo. I've had a lot of complete failure broody clutches before too, yet I know my boys are doing their job. It can be the time of year, weather, broody hen's responsibility, etc at fault.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    The first batch was all dead, no chicks at all. I have not checked this batch yet. I did not candle. I probably should have I was just trying to leave her alone as much as possible and let her do her thing. I have had hens chuck eggs out of the brood before and I thought that was because they weren't developing or something she knew....

This hatch she threw three eggs out in the last few days but still nothing from the rest.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I opened these eggs and YUCK [​IMG] [​IMG]

They exploded like stink bombs!!!

Nothing but green guck inside. So, no chicks.....

Is he sterile?? He's four.... Has fathered chicks before. No injury, nothing.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That does not necessarily sound like a fertility issue. I've had plenty of eggs go the distance without developing and when I open them, they are not green or stinky. The yolk usually breaks up, but other than the insides being watery, they look a whole lot like a raw egg. Green and stinky means that bacteria got inside. Bacteria will kill a developing chick as fast as it will stink up a non-fertile egg.

Have you sterilized your incubator? Are the eggs pretty clean? Do you wash them? If so, how?

To be honest, I'm a little confused. I really would not expect all eggs to be green and stinky. Something is causing bacteria to get inside all of them. From my experience that is unusual for bacteria to be in all of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by