Is my rooster show-able?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chloe77, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Chloe77

Chloe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2012
    I want to show my rooster next year. However, I want your opinions first. Is he good enough to carry away a prize?

Here's his head: [​IMG]

But that doesn't show much.

Here's his body:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Facts: He's roughly 6-7 months old, and he's still packing on pounds.

What do you think? Keep in mind that he's a little dark because of the corn I feed him. I'll restrict his diet to just plain feed in the coming months... But what do you think?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    And by the way, he's a Plymouth Barred Rock.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    over all he is good and i would show him to see how he does as it is hard to really tell anything without feeling and holding the bird. you will also need to show him in more than one show as different judges have different opinions such as one judge could place him in 1st another may not even place him. it is always a good idea to have a copy of the newest standard of perfection if you are going to show and also after judging is done go talk to the judge(s) and see what your bird needs to improve on if anything needs to me improved on. as for the corn, you need to be careful on feeding this as corn can kill chickens if they eat to much and should really only be given in the winter time (you will need to search the site for that info as i forget where i found it on here). as for the yellowing from the corn and/or sun that wont go away till he molts. if you want to feed them treats then this is also a good chart to read as it has lots of things that are safe for them to eat along with how it should be feed to them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

4. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Also, corn can kill chickens? I've never heard of this. Is it when you feed them un-cracked corn?

By the way, I feed them whole corn. Not cracked. I scavenged it from the fields around my parent's house. (And, of course, I rinse them.)

(I feed them 50/50 corn, and feed.)

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    My chickens love corn, all corn. On the list it said corn was ok, Where did you here it wasnt? Just curious.

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it's all over the feeding and watering portion of the forum i will try and find some of those post here in a bit. think it's a big debate though as i have seen different things. if your feeding 50/50 you are still feeding more than 50% corn though, if i remember right there is corn in the pellets.

it has to do with over heating in the summer time but some say that's an old wives tail that isn't true. i have not tested it nor do i feel comfortable testing it though. mine eat the corn last and i tried giving them a handful today and they left it on the ground, didn't even touch it [​IMG]

7. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    But back on topic, what of my rooster?

8. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    I don't use pellets, I use um.... The powder. It has hardly any corn in it, I think.

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    We all love to give our hens treats. Unlike so many others in our lives, chickens are raucously grateful for the smallest offerings. But, I’ve seen a disturbing trend to over-indulgence in the feeding of backyard hens. You can make your chicken sick – or even kill her – with too many of the wrong treats. One food that chickens love is cracked corn. It’s like candy to them. But, it has no nutritional value other than calories. It’s okay to give a little in the winter when the weather is really cold, but otherwise it has no benefit. It does quickly make hens fat, which can lead to serious egg-laying glitches. So, as much as your girls are gleeful about cracked corn, don’t feed it.

http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

back on subject...take him to a few shows and see how he does.

10. Chloe77

Nov 29, 2012
    Will do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by