Is My Rooster Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rainekitty, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Rainekitty

Rainekitty Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Last night, I noticed that my Rooster's crow wasn't quite as loud as it normally is. This morning, it's definitely quieter. The first part of his crow sounds normal, but the last syllable is normally *really* loud and today it's much less pronounced. If he was a human, I'd think he had a sore throat.

He seems healthy otherwise, although has been a bit stressed in the last week by the introduction of some new hens (they're in a separate run next the main run). Is it possible that he's sick? I don't know what else it might be.

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Did you quarantine the new hens before you put them so close to you other birds? It's possible they brought in a new bug that they are immune to but is making your birds ill.

I'd keep an eye on everyone for signs of respiratory infection. Listen to their breathing at night on the roost. Wheezing, crackling, or labored breathing is bad. Check for clear eyes and nostrils. Discharge is bad. Watch for lethargy, puffed up feathers, decreased food intake, and birds that just sit on the roost holding themselves still.

If you don't have one, look for a chicken vet now, just in case. Find out what antibiotics you'll be able to source and from where, again just in case.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing.

3. Rainekitty

Rainekitty Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2014
    Thanks for the information- it's very helpful. No one else is sick and the rooster still seems healthy other than his crow.

I just realized that I did something that could have caused this. I thew half a bag of cedar bedding I had laying around into the coop last week. I just now looked it up and realized that cedar can be toxic. I'll remove it all when I get home tonight. I hope that's what the problem is, and that he'll be okay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by