Is my Rooster "slow"?

That is very sad. I'm sorry to hear that. However what ever is on Loki's eye is not spots or specks. It starts in the center and spreads out like fingers. He seems perfectly healthy otherwise and none of the others peck him. I will just have to keep an eye on him. Thanks so much for all of your input.

Best wishes with him. Cataracts are simpler to deal with than any other form of blindness so hopefully it's that. Now, somewhat off topic, and I certainly don't recommend doing it to a bird, I know a welder who uses straight Smirnoff vodka on the eyeballs to clear the sight. Just a random bit of info, lol... Anyway, cataracts themselves throughout history were treated in some cases by various natural things used to wash the eyes, like some herbs. You may want to try supplementing his diet with more omegas, vitamin A, etc, as these can heal eyes too.

Red grapes, not the seedless kind, are used to make Resveratrol, something used to treat all manner of problems in humans. Someone I know with long-term partial blindness, due to chemical fumes exposure, was cured of it after eating a few Resveratrol tablets. Red grapes, the sort with seeds in them, may assist to do the same with your bird if the cause is similar.

He will be fine,just make sure he had deep feed/water dishes. My boy is thriving and has no problems eating with deeper bowls.

Chooks4life. RE:comments the silkie in question is not slow and neither is mine,difficulty seeing is not a result of acquired brain damage,toxicity,disease or neurological issues.

Actually, difficulty seeing is commonly a result of acquired brain damage/neurological issues, disease and toxicity. All of those are common causes. I'm not sure where you got the information stating otherwise, lol!

If his blindness is anything like my turkey had, he won't be fine without continual assistance if it progresses to total blindness. That said, blind chooks usually manage better than most other blind livestock.

Best wishes.

My information comes from experience with my own silkies who DO NOT have brain damage,neurological issues,diseases or toxicity and it has never been determined if the silkie in question is actually blind.

My information comes from experience with my own silkies who DO NOT have brain damage,neurological issues,diseases or toxicity and it has never been determined if the silkie in question is actually blind.
If you're talking about sight impediments besides feathering, then you would actually need testing to determine the validity of the statement of them being not brain damaged, not neurologically abnormal, not diseased, and not toxified.

Broadly speaking, all of us and all of our animals are somewhat toxified, somewhat neurologically damaged, somewhat diseased, etc, at generally sub-clinical levels. Only when it becomes severe do we see symptoms, but there are many effects we don't see. We exist in a state of partial disease, every one of us. Testing has not yet found any totally affliction-free or abnormality-free human or animal when conducted at more than a superficial level. We test for basic functions when we do health tests, and if things are functional enough we often attach glowing labels like 'in perfect health' which is actually untrue.

The blanket statement I'm quoting here is factually incorrect despite your experiences with your Silkies:
Quote: It is a proven and common result of any of all of those problems mentioned.

Best wishes.

My silkie rooster has been to a vet,the vet and myself both believe it is a blocked lubricating duct.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom