Is my rooster too docile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wornoutmomto3, Aug 14, 2014.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was given a pure RIR rooster about 5-6 months old at the time. Previous owner was switching to cream leg bars and didn't want any crossed chicks. He insisted that the roo was well behaved and docile. He seemed very sweet while I was there. So, I picked him up the next day. I did the slow introductions but my RIR hens don't seem to like him. It has been about a month now and he still seems timid around the girls. I think he was rather low in the pecking order in a much larger flock at his previous home. I have only the one rooster, two hens, two 2-month-olds, and three ducks. There are some chicks but they won't be introduced for some time yet. He seems interested in the hens but they won't let him near. The birds have free range of a five acre property and the hens range where ever the grass is cut low. The don't like tall grass. The roo hides around the coop and a few of the near by trees. When he does try to get near the hens they chase him away and he stays away. Is he to docile for my pushy hens?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Once he matures he will get the hang of it.

3. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    Give him some time, he'll get the idea soon enough.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree, he's young. He's new to your flock and if the hens are older they are not going to take to him right away. It always is hard integrating just one new bird. Time and maturity should help the situation.

5. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yeah, he is a probably a bit young. I did catch him attempting to mate one of the hens this morning. I thought maybe the hens were starting to accept him until the other hen attacked him, shoving him off the one hen..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by