1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Rooster too much of a gentleman?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alogue5173, Oct 1, 2012.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I grew up around chickens, but we rarely had any roosters because the few times we did they were overly aggressive and would attack us. I am now grown and have chickens of my own and despite my reservations about roosters, I got one to keep my hens company and make babies. My roo came from a friend that had several roos and my "Speedy" was being picked on a bit and had no luck with the ladies so I took him in. He has been an asset to my flock. He is gentle and sweet and takes very good care of his girls. However, I have noticed that when I give them treat or scraps, he won't eat anything. He will make noises and call his girls, but even if I throw something right at his feet he wont eat it...he lets the girls have it. I feel sorry for him...like he's missing out [​IMG]
    He is very healthy and his feathers are beautiful and shiny and he eats just fine when I put their food out in the pen. (they all free-range during the day) Is this normal rooster behavior? Is he just looking out for his ladies?

2. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm pretty sure its normal for a rooster to give the treats to his girls instead of eating them himself.

3. pemphredo

pemphredo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Aransas Pass texas
    maybe he sees them as his responsibility and he sees them as his mates that bring forth his offspring so he wants to make sure they get fed first and are good strong and healthy to insure good offspring? IDK just a guess. LOL

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

You have a good rooster. All three of my boys were/are like that. Mr. Fluffers would call the girls then stand guard
    [​IMG]
    Roger, my silkie roo, he'd do the same thing, and only eat after the hens started to walk away. Sometimes they'd get nothing after the girls had their fill.
    Rod Stewart, the only boy I have left, the other two died from predators, protecting the flock, great boys... Anyway, he does the same thing. He will take it from my hand, then drop it on the ground and call the girls. LOL, He however doesn't always wait till the girls are done. He's learned to go after some treats as soon as all the girls, his girls, are there to share, and then he digs in.

5. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    NovaAman...that's what Speedy does....he stands guard. So sad that predators got your guys. The roo in the pic is beautiful!

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Thanks... He died about 8 days after a raccoon came during the day and attacked the girls. I lost no girls, he beat the crap out of the coon. It was a juvie coon though, and it did not come back. He had 3 inch spurs, so I am pretty sure the coon got it good. I tried saving him, but... Well, he did a good job.

7. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Awwww...so very sad. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by