Is my rooster too young for this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lynette, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

My Sebright Bantam rooster has been climbing on the back of my bearded D'Uccle Bantam lately. My chickens will be 4 months old on Monday. I know what it looks like, but aren't they too young for this or is he just being a jerk to her? She doesn't like him on her back either. I don't want them doing anything anyway since they aren't the same type of Bantam. Actually, he is the only rooster that doesn't have one of his own kind. The other 3 roosters do. But I am sure that won't stop them from trying. Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I didn't think they would be doing this until they were closer to 6 months.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Males mature faster than female chickens. I have seen boys trying to breed the hens at 4 months. He may even be fertile. Your hen isn't yet fertile or of breeding age, and is only being annoyed.

3. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

my roosters are 16 weeks, one of them has been doing this for the past 3-4 weeks now the others have joined in............glad i got lots of hens [​IMG]

4. Lynette

Is it bad if 2 different types of chickens mate? I know I have no control over who does what with who and I would love to watch chicks hatching, but I was hoping to have the pairs doing this. Not the ones that don't have another of their kind.

5. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    The roos will breed with anything as long as it is a chicken - maybe even if not. If you want them only to breed with their own kinds, you will have to separate them. Chickens don't discriminate [​IMG]

6. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Quote:Evidence of this is someone reporting recently that their rooster bred with them [​IMG]

7. TNRIRRoo

TNRIRRoo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Don't know if he's fertile yet or not but my 4 have started doing this. They were hatched March 30th. I was standing out there one afternoon when I saw one of the little guys jump on an older hen. When he was done and jumped off her she promptly jumped on him and proceeded to kick his..... well you know.

8. Lynette

[​IMG] It is funny when the hens get ticked and go after the roosters.

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have a pair of crusty old Warrens who spend their time together. When one of the young upstarts decided to mate with an old girl, the other old girl flew at him and pecked his neck very hard. He has avoided them since!

Sandie

10. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My roo is 1 yr and 3 months old. My hens are only 4 months old and just started to lay and they have already become 'interested' in each other even know I have only had the roo for two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by