1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is my rooster trying to dominate me or is he confused?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chooketychook, Aug 22, 2013.

1. chooketychook

chooketychook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Hi I have a 5month old cream legbar roo,his not the sweetest roo but certainly not the most aggressive,But lately his behavior has changed when I leave the coop and run (I usually sit in there with a cup of tea watching them in my spare time or for abit of peace) and go into my house after about 5 minutes he will come up to my kitchen door or inside the house and cock a doodle dooooo at the top of his lungs if I ignore him he jumps onto the trampoline and cock a doodle doooo's until I eventually come out and walk back down to the pen,he walks in front of me turning his head to the side checking im following him and once im sat back in the run he continues with his day...
    Is this a dominance thing or is it normal im worried one day he will try and mate me and I will have to wak him over the head with the frying pan I will be using to cook him in!!!!
    His a good roo otherwise and has never jumped at me and I want to use him as part of my breeding plan,but when you find yourself saying to your husband I better go the roosters calling me...you have a problem =\

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. HenMcGhie

HenMcGhie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    LOL, my rooster's does that too. However he also tries to challenge me. When he does that I stomp at him and chase him around for a bit just so he knows who's boss. He's an almost 6 month old Rhode Island Red.

3. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    He just wants attention. Sounds like he considers you part of the flock. Just make sure you let him know you're the boss if he ever does try to dominate you (by spurring or jumping) as suggested above.

My roo did the same thing, except it was all the time. He wanted treats and attention. He knew when I got home....

4. chooketychook

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK

5. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Quote:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chooketychook

Jun 17, 2013
    birmingham UK
    Oh dear I guess I better get used to this,the chicken world is one crazy place it has a grown married women of 3 kids,squarking round the garden,flapping her invisible wings!!!! =\

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by