Is my Rosalinda a cockrel?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chkncatlady, May 20, 2016.

1. chkncatlady

chkncatlady Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Hello all! I am a brand new chicken mama. I recently brought home 4 "pullets" from a local feed store, entirely due to ovewhelming impulse triggered by the unbearable cuteness of baby chicks. In the past few weeks, one of my "girls" has shown noteable aggressive behavior, an awkward sound I assumed was an attempted cock-a-doodle-doo but wrote off as a transitional cluck, and has begun to show noticeable physical differences from the others. Granted, all four are from different breeds and look generally different anyway. "Rosalinda" is an Araucana and is 12 weeks old. I have done a significant amount of googling to confirm my suspicionson, but I thought it best to enlist the help of more seasoned chicken parents. The most validating observation is the shape of the tail feathers. "Rosie's" feathers are pointed, undefined and curve at the ends, while the others have rounded, straight feathers. Other signs have included her red comb and different looking hackle feathers, but I just don't know enough about chickens to know if that is due to "her" breed or sex. Any opinions on this are appreciated. TIA!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] 'Ross' is an Easter Egger cockerel.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

4. chkncatlady

chkncatlady Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Thank you for your respose! He's gonna be such a pretty rooster. I live in the City limits and this means I will have to rehome him. :(

5. chkncatlady

chkncatlady Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Yep. He's definitely a rooster. Thanks everyone for the input. I'm mildly disappointed that he was my only "Easter Egger," but he is happy at his new home and has lots of girlfriends. Apparently, he is quite the ladies' man now that he isn't being "jumped in" any longer.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    100% rooster

7. Troy6671

Troy6671 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    Allegan Michigan
    Yep, Rooster!

8. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Could try a velcro collar until you get a warning from someone snitching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by