Is my rouen hen breeder quality?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 4, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I got this rouen hen from metzer farms, I know she isnt "show" quality, but she looks like at leased breeder right? here is Jacky.
    [​IMG]
    This is my PQ pair, bob and ember. I hatched one egg from them, hopeing he/she is better quality then them. Is that actually possible though??
    [​IMG]
    This is my PQ drake. Would it be worth while hatching any eggs from him and the hen at the top?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    I do not think so. it looks like she could be plenty bigger and her keel needs to be lower. i dont know the standards. she just dosent look like breeder quality.
    ETA: i think she could use better lacing too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Well, yeah she needs to be bigger to be show quality. but does she need to be bigger for breeder? And she is going through a molt right now so her lacing is very messed up [​IMG] thanks again! And if you dont know the standards then how do you know she isnt breeder quality? [​IMG]
    PS: forgot to add she is still young....

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
  5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Hi [​IMG] thanks for the link.

She is three months old and a few days. And those pics were taken today.

6. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    just from what i seen. post another pic when she fills out a bit more. i didnt relize she was that young

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, I will. Hopeing she gets a little more chuby by spring [​IMG] would it be worth while mating her to that poor quality drake in spring? Or wait to see if the other rouen baby in the brooder is a male and what his quality is? Id really like to hatch something from her though...

8. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i guess if i were you, i'd only breed them if the hen does fill out and could be considered "show quality". then there would be more of a chance that the ducklings would be "breeder quality". are you planning on SHOWING or just SELLING or just for FUN? i wouldnt do it if you are planning to show. if that was the case, id invest in a good qualiy drake.If you sell,dont advertise them as "breeder qulaity or show quality unless they are grown ducks and are proven. if eggs. say there is a CHACE of getting a decent quality of ducklings.

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:What I REALLY want to do is take her in 4H. But if she doesnt turn out to be good quality then I will just keep her and the two PQs as pets. She is a fantastic pet, very calm, and lovly temperment. Unlike my PQ hen ember, she is very skiddish and doesnt want to be touched. This one would let me pick her up though. I love this hen to bits [​IMG] anyway if she isnt good enough quality for 4H then I will just go with my welsh harlequin drake like I planed on.

10. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I do not know how old that Standard of Perfection is but it is very outdated. I only checked the weights and disqualifications and they are both wrong. I am sure there are several places to look for pictures, the first one that comes to mind is Royal Oaks Farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by