1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my run secure enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kclaus, Mar 26, 2012.

1. kclaus

kclaus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I have a 6'x10' by 6' tall run. Its frame is landscape timbers and 2x4s. i bent 36" hardware cloth to form an apron on the 3 sides not connected to the coop. 18" up the sides and 18" laying flat on the ground, covered with dirt. I used chicken wire everywhere else, overlapping the hardware cloth at the bottom. The chicken wire is secured to the hardware cloth with twisted galvanized wire every 12 inches or so. The roof is chicken wire but I"m also going to cover it with some reclaimed galvanized roofing.

I'm not really worried about the roof, or predators digging under. Should I be? ;)

My main concern is the single layer of chicken wire from the starts at 18" above ground level. Should I be concerned? Please let me know whether you've had problems with a similar setup.

I know we have foxes, raccoons, opossums, hawks, etc. Dogs shouldn't be a problem unless they are coming from afar.

What do you think?

Edit: I probably should add that the reason I'm asking is because I have zero experience with chickens and their predators, other than what I've read. My chicks are inside the house but will be turned out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Sounds like you have the bottom of the run covered except the chicken wire above the hardware cloth. Raccoons are very strong and chicken wire is not. If a raccoon can find some leverage to work from they can break chicken wire. Any chance you could put up some heavier gage wire fencing like 2"x4"?

3. kclaus

kclaus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I can definitely add more wire, but I was kind of hoping to avoid it. :) How high would I need to go? Would a raccoon climb up to try to find a weak place in the wire?

4. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    Raccoon are very agile animals. They have front paws that can grab and very dexterous. They would have no problem climbing up chicken wire. The question is can the find enough purchase to rip the chicken wire apart while hanging on. I'm not sure of if they can or not, but if they climb to the top they will definitely be able to rip chicken wire and get in. If your covered top doesn't allow them access to the chicken wire you may be alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by