is my run to small ? :C

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by connor97, Feb 4, 2013.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

It is 4 feet by 17 feet. We have 6 standard size chickens and soon we are getting one bantam silkie. They will only be in the run from the morning until I get home at 3, or sometimes even earlier, then I will let them out too free range. Is this too small ?
    If it gets over crowded I could rehome some of them maybe but I would prefer to keep them all [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    With 6 LF and 1 Silkie, that would be the minimum size. Just keep an eye out for boredom pecking.

3. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    as long as they have feed and water, I think you are fine- many people keep them that number in a much smaller space.

4. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    You could hang a cabbage. They will keep busy pecking the cabbage instead of each other.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Sounds alright for what you have. Keep a close eye on the Silkie. They're pretty indefensible as they can't see others coming at them to peck them. Do the intro when you're home all day, like the weekend, to make sure they're getting along. I try to offer my birds various treats when they're going to be locked up all day.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I just re-read this. You will probably be better getting two. Everywhere I have read about introducing just one bird to an existing flock has ended badly. You would still be ok with adding 2 bantams as they are smaller and require less space. PLEASE consider this.

7. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are only 6-7 weeks old. The one silkie will be bigger then everyone else. Do you think it would be okay to just have one then since I'm introducing them to each other while everyone is smaller ?

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Ok, that should be fine then. Whew. I just saw red flags when I re read it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by