1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Sexlink a roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Auntx23, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Auntx23

Auntx23 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Hello chicken lovers! I am new to the wonderful world of feathered friends. In March I got 2 black sexlink, 3 buff orpingtons, 2 Auracanas and 2 red australops. I am concerned one may be a roo. The comb is very prominent, it recently has crowed a couple of times but no spurs... Please help I dont want a "freezer coop" if I dont have to.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    If you post this in the BREED section, you will get more replies...and a picture!

If it has crowed, most likely a roo, but can't be sure till some pics are posted.

** just noticed your 1st post...post 10 times, even to your own post if you like, then follow this link and post some pics.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

This is a big IF. IF it is actually a black sex link and is not barred, it is a hen. All black sex link males are barred. No black sex link hens are barred. If it is not a black sex link, that does not apply.

Not all chickens sold as black sex links really are. Sometimes people just make mistakes. And different breeds can be used to make black sex links. Depending in what the breeds are actually used, the white patch on the head that lets you determine sex is not always real easy to interpret.

At that age, a rooster should be showing buds that will become spurs. They may not be real prominent yet. But I've also had some hens that had those spur buds. They did not grow but the "pimple" was there.

People have reported that when a rooster is not present, a hen can take over some of the duties of the dominant rooster. They may even try to crow. I always have a rooster so I have not experienced that. But I agree with JodyJo. If it has crowed, it is probably a rooster.

Without pictures, we really cannot be sure one way or the other.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 2 BSL pullets...without the pics, hard to tell so maybe I can help by showing you mine....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by