Is my SF M or F?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Erinmir, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    Ok, so here is Petunia (at least that's what we're calling "her" for now). Petunia is the only Salmon Faverolle we ordered from Meyer Hatchery when we got our little flock. We did order "her" as a pullet but as we all know there's only 90% accuracy on chick sexing. As she is feathering in, a lot of dark feathers are coming in on her chest and belly. As I understand it, female SF's should have creamy colored chests and bellies. However, males should have black (from what I read, jet black) wing feathers and chests/bellies. Now, the dark feathers on Petunia are more of a smoky gray, not outright black (we also have WCBP's and they are BLACK), so.... is Petunia a girl or a boy?? [​IMG]

Day old:
    [​IMG]

Two weeks:
    [​IMG]

Three weeks:
    [​IMG]

Four weeks: (Current)
    [​IMG]

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I can't really see its chest but if it has a lot of black on its chest I would say its a little cockerel. Mine is has got more black on him than that one.

[URL='http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2220849198914&set=a.2220847838880.2128724.1178217247&type=1&theater/img]<br><br>I']http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2220849198914&set=a.2220847838880.2128724.1178217247&type=1&theater/img]

I[/URL] don't know if my picture is able for you to see, I will try and fix it if it's not.

But if you look at mine back there behind the Polish you'll see how much black he has and how large and red his comb already is.

3. Erinmir

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    I did see the picture, thanks so much. My suspicions are that little Petunia is probably a Petey. Hrmm... didn't want any roos. [​IMG] The chest feathers on our chick are pretty dark. Nothing I'd call absolutely black though in comparison to our Polishes, but definitely dark charcoal gray. Now what do I do? [​IMG]

4. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Here is this picture so you don't have to go to my facebook.

[​IMG]

5. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't know your "Petunia" looks pretty brown it may surprise you and be a hen. [​IMG] Because I have seen some pullets that had some darker colors on them.
    Good Luck!

6. Erinmir

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    Thanks for the help. "Petunia" definitely has a LOT of the brown/salmon color on "her" back/wings and tail. The only thing that is making me question is that her breast and belly have an awful lot of gray in them. Hubby says he has the "feeling" (and hubby has NEVER had chickens, mind you) that Petunia is a she. All the gray makes me nervous. I'll give it a few more weeks and see if we can't tell better then. Your cockerel looks quite handsome and definitely has more dark feathers than our Petunia does.

7. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You can sex Faverolles very early by wing color - girls grow little brown wings and boys grow little black wings.

I think what you have is a very poorly colored (hatchery) Faverolle pullet. I had one like that and I gave her away to a friend whose chicken flock was decimated (her DH left the gate open and one of the dogs got in). She would be over 2 mos now. I may see her tomorrow and if so I'll let you know!

8. Erinmir

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    Thanks for that! I appreciate your help as well. Hopefully she is just a dark pullet. [​IMG] We weren't planning on having roos but she is so sweet that the thought did cross my mind to keep her if she did end up being a roo just because! [​IMG]

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    is that fayoumis the same age!!!! i know that they mature fast... but. WOW!!!

boy BTW

10. chickenstew

chickenstew Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Looks like my girl Frenchie at that age. I was worried when dark speckles came in on her chest, but was reassured on the SF thread that she is just hatchery stock.
    Frenchie 14 wks. old
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by