Is my "she" a "he"?

brittshep

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
I have 6 chicks, almost 3 weeks old, 1 of which I'm almost positive is a little roo; he has the beginnings of a wattle already, short stocky wing feathering, not much of a tail yet, and his comb is turning a nice pink color. Problems is, one if my "girls" has the beginnings of a wattle and a pinkish comb just like him, despite having the large tail and wing feathers like the rest of the girls. Any thoughts?

Chick #1 (Moose, my roo):

Chick #2 (one of the other girls):

And, finally, chick #3 (the chick in question):

Sorry that the pictures aren't great; terrible lighting and awful camera! :/

Basskids08

Chick Logging
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
In the country somewhere
I have 6 chicks, almost 3 weeks old, 1 of which I'm almost positive is a little roo; he has the beginnings of a wattle already, short stocky wing feathering, not much of a tail yet, and his comb is turning a nice pink color. Problems is, one if my "girls" has the beginnings of a wattle and a pinkish comb just like him, despite having the large tail and wing feathers like the rest of the girls. Any thoughts?

Chick #1 (Moose, my roo):

Chick #2 (one of the other girls):

And, finally, chick #3 (the chick in question):

Sorry that the pictures aren't great; terrible lighting and awful camera! :/

Hello and :welcome. I'm not sure which chick this is referenced to but the last picture looks like a little cockerel. Hope that helps!

rc4u

Songster
6 Years
Feb 3, 2014
the first pic is cockerel...cant see the tail on the last pic so don't know

brittshep

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks, everyone. #3's tail feathers look like a pullet, but that reddening comb and wattle has thrown me for a loop. Guess we'll wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks! :)

Top Bottom