Is My She Actually a He?

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
Ollie is almost 5 months old, and just this morning got this tail curl thing goin on. So what do you think, male or female?

29x6fds.jpg

Pooh! I had plans to get Ollie a drake buddy. Don't guess that'd be such a great idea now. lol. That curl just popped up over night!

My next question is, will the recently developed aggressiveness go away? Ollie's always been a sweet pet, wanting to sit in my lap and everything. (Ollie's a lone bird at my place.) But lately he attacks our feet and gets kinda nutty.

Oh! And what about the breed? Any ideas? I hatched him out of a blue egg I found.

Last edited:
He looks like a Pekin but I didn't know they laid blue eggs????

As for the sudden nuttiness...they do calm down a little. You might have to remind him who the boss is though. When he goes after your feet, pick him up and carry him around for about 5 minutes.

Looks like a pekin to me too, and definitely a boy. Sorry! Why not get him a girlfriend? And ditto on the discipline--I usually discipline my aggressive drake (when he attacks my ducklings) by holding his head down against the ground--not hard, just enough to hold him in place until he relaxes (his way of saying, "Okay, I give"). This is how drakes show each other who is boss, so he understands it. It takes him down a peg with me, so he behaves better--and it actually takes him down a peg in the flock, too--they recognize when their boss has been bested.

Definitely a boy and probably has hormone issue going on. It's funny cause it's our girls that tend to be the most aggressive around here. Not towards people, but against newcomers (new ducklings, chicks or even keets if they get too close.)

Quote:
How old was your call when it changed?

I have a black swedish call duck I bought a couple months ago as a female. She is a year old, and the person I bought her from was told she's a she.

I have the call in with my female runner duck who is 17 week old, and the other day I witnessed the call mate with my runner. And it didn't look like mock mating either.
The call duck also doesn't quack unless s/he is upset, most of the time it squeaks. But NO curly feather.

Back
Top Bottom