Is My She Actually a He?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countyroad1330, Aug 30, 2009.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Ollie is almost 5 months old, and just this morning got this tail curl thing goin on. So what do you think, male or female?

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

male

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yep, your she is a he, girls don't get that curly tail. [​IMG]

4. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Pooh! I had plans to get Ollie a drake buddy. Don't guess that'd be such a great idea now. lol. That curl just popped up over night!

My next question is, will the recently developed aggressiveness go away? Ollie's always been a sweet pet, wanting to sit in my lap and everything. (Ollie's a lone bird at my place.) But lately he attacks our feet and gets kinda nutty.

Oh! And what about the breed? Any ideas? I hatched him out of a blue egg I found.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    He looks like a Pekin but I didn't know they laid blue eggs????

As for the sudden nuttiness...they do calm down a little. You might have to remind him who the boss is though. When he goes after your feet, pick him up and carry him around for about 5 minutes.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Looks like a pekin to me too, and definitely a boy. Sorry! Why not get him a girlfriend? And ditto on the discipline--I usually discipline my aggressive drake (when he attacks my ducklings) by holding his head down against the ground--not hard, just enough to hold him in place until he relaxes (his way of saying, "Okay, I give"). This is how drakes show each other who is boss, so he understands it. It takes him down a peg with me, so he behaves better--and it actually takes him down a peg in the flock, too--they recognize when their boss has been bested.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Definitely a boy and probably has hormone issue going on. It's funny cause it's our girls that tend to be the most aggressive around here. Not towards people, but against newcomers (new ducklings, chicks or even keets if they get too close.)

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I too think the tail curl happens overnight. I have a call duck that was female one day, tail curl the next.

9. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:How old was your call when it changed?

I have a black swedish call duck I bought a couple months ago as a female. She is a year old, and the person I bought her from was told she's a she.

I have the call in with my female runner duck who is 17 week old, and the other day I witnessed the call mate with my runner. And it didn't look like mock mating either.
    The call duck also doesn't quack unless s/he is upset, most of the time it squeaks. But NO curly feather.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Pekins don't lay blue eggs, they lay really big white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by