Is my silkie a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sugarcubemint, May 1, 2017.

1. Hello everyone, I've picked up 5 silkies from my local poultry auction as I really fell in love with one of them and they came as a lot. It is ridiculously calm and cuddly, never come across such a beautiful natured bird! Not 100% sure on how old they are, but they're growing fast! I've got suspicions that my favourite of the bunch is a rooster though... Can anyone tell from these photos if I've got a hen or rooster here? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What makes you think its a rooster?? The pictures make me feel its a pullet/hen, but I do not know how old it is??

3. The way he/she is carrying himself/herself! Very tall most of the time, and just looks different than my other 4, not as soft as the rest and the head "fluff" isn't as round as the rest of them!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, are they just weeks old or months old? A group pic might help, but time will for Sure tell!

5. Probably a few months old I'd say, I can try taking a group photo tomorrow :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by