1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is My Silkie A Rooster....any guesses welcome lol

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BerthasMommy, Sep 6, 2011.

1. BerthasMommy

BerthasMommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Southeast Texas
    so this little 4 month old silkie is "supose" to be a rooster... I have no idea i just know i had to have the cutie lol.....Anyone wanna give me a guess lol
    [​IMG]

2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I would need to see more pictures from different angles. Based on this pic, it looks like a female.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2, All the way [​IMG]

4. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Only way to tell is the crown undeneath their feathers if they have two horns it's a male that's what I was taught. I have 3 Silkie Roosters. I want a female [​IMG]

5. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I totally agree. If the crest ain't big enough to see the manly (for a silkie) "streamers" coming off the back of it, check the area where the comb will be: part the crest & look for the 2 - 3 little spikes (they will be little, but visable at this age) on the end of the comb farthest from the beak. If you see them, you've got yourself a boy, most likely.
    Good luck![​IMG]

6. BerthasMommy

BerthasMommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:I totally agree. If the crest ain't big enough to see the manly (for a silkie) "streamers" coming off the back of it, check the area where the comb will be: part the crest & look for the 2 - 3 little spikes (they will be little, but visable at this age) on the end of the comb farthest from the beak. If you see them, you've got yourself a boy, most likely.
    Good luck![​IMG]

I definitely see three little spikes!!!!! [​IMG]

I also have a sick silkie also right now that I think is having some vitamin deficiencies(keeping fingers crossed she gets better with the vitamins and electrolytes) I looked at it and it has no spikes at all (they where supose to both be male but i had a feeling about that one)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by