Is my silkie broody or eggbound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Aug 4, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

When a hen goes broody isn't she supposed to continue laying?

How do you move her from where she's glued to one egg?

My silkie has one egg that she has sat with in a corner on the floor for four/five days now, but she's not laying more eggs. I tried to move her to a nest box with the egg in it, but she goes right back to the corner without the egg.
    I have ordered some silkie eggs for her, but I wonder if she's really broody, sick, , eggbound, or just being stubborn about the corner.
    Whatever, she can't stay in that corner because that's where I'll be putting the pop hole as soon as finish building/making the run behind the coops.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sounds like a broody to me.

They will sit on AIR if they go broody, and once they are good and broody they won't lay anymore eggs until after the broody period is over.

Move that chickie to a nest cage/pen and stick some eggs under that girl!

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thanks, that's good to know that she's probably alright. I think that I'll stick her in the second coop all by herself with some pine straw on the floor, and she can make the nest wherever she wants it. My silkie eggs should/might arrive near the end of this week so I'll put her out there now, and she should be making a nest with the two eggs that she has now. Hopefully, she'll take the new eggs and hatch them. She is so funny; honestly, I never know what she's going to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by