Is my silkie broody or hurt?

Nancy Asselin

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2019
i have 2 silkie cockerels and 5 pullets,, the Roos seem to REALLY like the Buff. When they get off of her she has a hard time getting up and now is hardly walking around so I separated her for a rest in case they have hurt her. Then one of the other pullets went broody, so I'm wondering if she's not moving much because she's broody too? I tried bringing her back to the others but the Roos were on her steady, and she just stayed there laying flat so I brought her back to her crate with het lamp on because she's alone. I'm at a loss what to do... Considering bringing her back and separating the 2 Roos? Thank you for advice

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
First off, there is no reason to put her under a heat lamp unless she is under 8 weeks and not fully feathered. Second, you will consistently have this problem unless you add more hens / get rid of one rooster. Even if you do get rid of a rooster, I would still add more hens bc this one particular one will continue to be favored - it seems as though the roosters need a break. I wouldn’t separate her - she didn’t do anything wrong. I would separate the roosters until you can figure something out. It does sound like they are hurting her; she does not sound broody.

Nancy Asselin

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2019
Thanks,,,I knew I didn't have enough pullets for 2 roosters, so after trying to re home one unsuccessfully we culled one today and separated the other rooster with chicken wire so he can still see the girls. Put the buff back in the coop. I think she is showing signs of vitamin deficiency however. I just finished nursing one of my other hens in bigger coop, for that, and after 7!weeks she is joining the flock tonight.

Top Bottom