is my silkie broody or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jayke563, Jan 4, 2016.

1. jayke563

jayke563 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Northern Massachusetts
    ok so I have been trying to encourage my silkie hen to go broody I have 10 golf balls in one nest box about 3 weeks ago I started putting golf balls in there and one of my silkies is starting to slow down on egg production and makes that clicking sound u know that sound that broody hens make that sounds like a horse and she growls at me when she lays her eggs but she stopped laying her eggs today and I put her in the nest box to see what would happen and she sat down on them and did that broody hen shuffle and stayed there all day and she didn't go on the roost to sleep but I'm not sure if she is broody when I touch her she makes a high pitched screech at me idk if she is broody what do u thing

1 person likes this.
  2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    broody.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd make sure she sticks to the nest a few days before giving her any eggs. But, it sounds like she might be taking your bait :)

4. jayke563

jayke563 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Northern Massachusetts
    ok thank u so much hope she goes broody

5. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    She's a silkie, so be sure that any pictures or posters that you have around the place which depict eggs are laid flat to avoid slip and fall injuries. -gop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by