Is my Silkie broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Scooter&Suzie, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My Silkie hen (7 months old now, maybe?) is right now sitting in a nesting box. I noticed her sitting there when I let the chickens out in the run this morning, but I suspect she started last night. I have noticed her do this twice before (but they were pretty short, no more than a couple hours), but what confused me is there were no eggs the first two times. She appears to be laying an egg, except I noticed her there at 7:30 this morning, and at 11:15 she is still there. I doubt she takes THAT long to lay an egg ;) I have two videos on my camera of her. I touched her back in the videos and she makes a sound that reminds me of a hiss/purr, but I have a feeling she doesn't like it. Is that a sign that she wants me to scoot because she is trying to hatch some eggs? I don't mind her sitting on the eggs since I don't have a rooster. I'm sorta excited, because in the spring/summer I want her to hatch some fertile bantam eggs for me (I hope to buy some from a friend, or someone).

If I can figure out how to post videos I will. It maybe a link to another website I can post videos.

THESE AREN"T MY SILKIE but sound similar:

This one, if you can hear the Silkie, is what my Silkie sounds like:

This is similar, but not quite it:

Still trying to figure out how to post videos.

EDIT: It has been cold each time she does her "thing". Could it be she is trying to keep warm?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like she is broody.....I have a broody buff silkie right now, and also a broody bantam cochin. They are sitting in the nest box together, and if you approach and pet them, they will sort of growl at you....They're pretty sweet and tame, so they don't peck or anything.

I let them have some fertile eggs and they're in my basement in a brooder, since right now it's winter in Ohio. Their timing is waaaay off, probably because I put a red heat bulb in their little coop in the winter.

Anyhow, your hen sounds just like my two broodies......

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Sounds like it to me my silkie is the same age as your's and she just hatched out 4 silkie cross chicks last night and is still sitting on two turken eggs that are due to hatch in 2-3 days. Mine went broody all of the sudden she laid 2 eggs and her sister laid 2 and my turken laid 2 eggs 2 days later and she's been on them non stop ever since and she's never really growled and she's so docil she doesn'tt peck but let one of my dogs get close and she nails them everytime. I have her in the coop in a large metal dog kennel in a box with the front cut out so the chicks can get in and out of the nest to heat and I have a heat lamp bulb over her nest box to knock off the any chill

4. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yay! I was waiting for the day she would start trying to hatch golf balls. To bad I don't have my Silkie roosters any more, other wise I could have Silkie babies! Do you think it is too cold (it's winter, duh!) for her to hatch eggs? I've heard of people doing that in the winter... I live in Pennsylvania, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by