Is my silkie chick stunted growth? (update pg2)

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
This is snowball he/she is so sweet and tiny..

I think his/her growth is stunted...In these 2 pics (I know not the best) How old does he/she look to you. I know his/her age and will reveal it later but I just wondered without knowing his/her age how old others think he looks.

Here is snowball

SDC11505.jpg

SDC11504.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give a hint...Snow ball is smaller but older then my 5 week old buff silkie chicks. Snow ball is Twice as small as the 3-5week olds. Maybe these pics make him look big.

But no he isn't quite 4 months.

Wow, I am better than I thought..
gig.gif
I would have kept guessing...
I had a chick develop much slower than its siblings. I have a weak spot for runts. I guess I will never enter a show.
sad.png
As long as the rest don't pick on him/her, they are usually the sweetest ones and they do thrive. Good Luck Snowball!!

snowball is very sweet! If he/she dosent catch up and is ever picked on I guess snowball will just have to become house chicken..LOL

Thanks for the good wishes on snowball...he has a close spot in my heart he was Hatched in November got his toes frostbite in December he was kept inside till better he lost parts of his toes and some of his nails.

My poor little snowball...
sad.png

I have a soft spot for runts. Your baby is darling, and I hope he catches up and fills out beautifully!

I have a bunch of barred rock packing peanuts that came with an order of bantam cochins. One of them was tiny, so I took him out of the packing peanut brooder, and put him in with the cochins so that I could watch him better and make sure he was eating.

I took pictures of him, because he was smaller than the bantams for the longest time, and VERY slow to feather out. The other BR's were fully feathered, and twice the size of the bantams, and he was still just way behind. When I moved them outside at 10wk old, he was still about half the size of the rest of the BRs.

They'll all be 15 weeks old on Wednesday, and I can no longer tell which of my BR's was the runt. He's caught up to the rest of them. I guess we'll have to eat him after all....

awww he is so cute i have an amauricana that is the same age as my others almost 4 weeks and half the size of ten very very tiny but all feathered lol its cute but idk if my chicken stayed that small what to do with it

My Silkie hen is two years old and very small for her age. She should be full grown by now but is much less than 1/2 the size of my Silkie roo. We still love her, but because of her small size, her eggs are often pre-mature (soft-shelled eggs) or are malformed/oddly shaped.

Back
Top Bottom