Is My Silkie Cockerel Show Standard?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Fur-N-Fowl, May 25, 2019.

1. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Hello everyone I'm new here so this is my first time posting!

I am posting here in the hope of getting a rough idea on whether my Silkie Cockerel is of a decent standard.

I originally purchased two purebred Silkie hens (one non bearded white and one bearded cuckoo) and they are beautiful.

I'm aware the cuckoo can't be shown as in the UK it is not a recognised Silkie colour.

Anyways, the white is beautiful! She does have some features that could be a tad better. This mainly being her foot feathering on her toes! She does have feathers on the two required toes but on the centre toe it's a little patchy. Other than that she's really nice!

At the end of the month I am taking her (and the Cockerel) to a poultry show/county show.

As recommended, I separated them from my flock and put them into a smaller pen (a rabbit hutch). She's coping well in it but because she can't see due to her poofy head, she kept scratching her beak on the cage bars...

This has left a scratch dug into her beak. It's not infected or 'open', just scratched. Will this be okay for the show or would the judge say it's a fault? I will put a little bit of petroleum jelly on before the show but it is still visible.

Anyways, back to the question at hand!

I later went on to purchase a Silkie Cockerel from a private breeder. They are purebred but I'm just still unsure on if he meets show standard as I've never shown birds before.

I was told he was a lovely bird as he has very little hard feathering in his 'bum fluff' and has the mulberry coloured walnut comb and wattles. He does also have 5 toes!

Is it worth me taking him to the show or does he not look like a good Silkie?

Please note I am only doing the show for fun, but I don't want to take an embarrassing bird.

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated!

The last photo is my female purebred, the other images are the Cockerel.​

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    BlueBaby and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  2. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Here is some additional photos of the Cockerel when I first got him.

His crest and foot feathers look a little scraggy and mucky due to however he was previously housed. However, they give a better view of his front and face.

His comb and wattles are a bit larger now which can be seen in the newer photos on the original post.

Attached Files:

BlueBaby likes this.
  3. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Well, I think they are just beautiful, but being here across the pond, don't know what would be considered show quality in the UK... Here in the USA, the show people like them to have huge mop top crests to the point you can't see their faces at all... Which I don't like, but that is the way it is here... Perhaps they have shown more restraint in that area over there (I hope!). Only advice I can give you is go to a show and see if they look like they would fit in... I think your birds are beautiful, though they might mark your cockerel down for having one wattle longer than the other, though maybe that is just illusion from the photography.

AltonaAcres likes this.
  4. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Hello and thankyou for commenting! :)

I have spoken to a couple of judges within poultry and many of them have said the crest is a difficult one to comment on. Apparently in the UK, some judges favour a large poofy crest whereas others prefer the shorter more sleek crest that doesn't cover the eyes.

Some judges think that the crest that covers the eyes and pretty much blinds the bird isn't desirable due to it effecting the birds behaviour.

I do have two Silkie hens with super large crests which do cover their eyes but I constantly have to clip them so they can see. Otherwise they can't see food, tend just just peck thin air and run into things :hmm

The hen I had in the image on the original post is one with the super poofy crest so for the sake of the show, I've let it grow. That means I'm taking a large crested female and a sleek crested male! Guess I'll find out which the judges prefer!

Ah yes, the wattles were different lengths on the images you are correct there. They're currently growing a little in length one after another? He is still young so hopefully they even out but I do think that's something he could be marked down on.

I'm glad you like them though! I've still got a lot to learn on the breed standards but I'm sure I'll get there after a few show experiences.

Oh, here's my female in full 'poof' form :D

Attached Files:

BlueBaby and BreanneRN like this.
  5. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Yeah, that is what they like to see over here! I still prefer the birds of my youth that didn't have to be barbered to be able to see! Their faces are so pretty and show so much expression and character! Why would anyone want to take that away? But I wish you the best of luck with the shows... Maybe ask around to find out what judge likes what, though you will have to be careful who you ask. Older retired former exhibitors are what I would recommend. They are likely to know and since they aren't competing won't give you a wrong steer, so to speak. I think maybe your hen is the better of your birds, but that is maybe just me, since I like hens...

6. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Ah yes, I know what you mean! Birds shouldn't really have to endure trims, having to put scissors close to their eyes and such isn't great. Luckily my two hens are friendly and will let me do pretty much anything, especially if they are getting some mealworms as a treat!

That being said, their faces are super cute when they are seen. Their big black eyes and blue earlobes are super pretty so I think it's nicer to see them too. Plus the bird can act normal when it can see :D

Thankyou for the advice on the judges, I will be sure to find some retired poultry judges and see what advice they can give me. I have found that people that love chickens (and other birds) can talk with each other for hours about nothing but their own birds and experience so I'm sure most judges should be happy to help! ​

BreanneRN likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: