Is my silkie old enough to tell yet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stina3246, May 12, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    And do the other 2 look like cockerals still? (I'm pretty sure the RIR and the Frizzle are but haven't determined the silkie yet) I'd like to know. I was hoping to get at least 1 hen. Can roosters live together if there is no hen?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Don't worry about the Frizzles eye. I think it's cloudy from the flash. It doesn't actually look that way.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Sorry can't help you with the sex of the silkie as far as roos living together there might be a little bit nof fighting just to show whos top roo.

3. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    That is it's third eyelid. Chickens (and lots of other animals) have a third eyelid that they can close over the eye [​IMG]

4. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    Not really sure about the silkie, they can be difficult to sex when young. It's head sort of looks cockerel-ish to me, but that may just be because it is still growing feathers in.

As far as raising together, that is usually fine. I have raised many cockerels together without any problems. However, I tried separating them for a few days (brought to a show) and after that there was a lot more fighting. If you plan to keep them together for life, you should have no problems. Just watch it if you separate them.

5. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Quote:That's cool, I think I remember hearing about something like that. Forgot ALL about it. Kinda neat that I caught it in a picture though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by