Is my silkie rooster trying to scare me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deedra11, Jan 5, 2011.

1. deedra11

deedra11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I have a 20 week old silkie rooster that just discovered that he is a rooster. He has tons of personality now that he is crowing. When I come outside to say hello, I bend down and he comes running up to me (like a sideways dance), like he is going to peck me but he doesn't. What is he doing? Trying to show me who's boss? I think its funny & I don't flinch or act scared. He only does it to me & not my husband???

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The sideways dance can be one of two things in a roo's mind:

1. You are a hen and you should be impressed with his handsomeness. OR....
    2. You are about to be attacked.

3. deedra11

deedra11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    That is funny, he does it to one of my silkie hens too, so maybe he likes me [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:[​IMG]
    There is nothing better than being liked instead of hated by your roos. [​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I agree with Chickens are sweet. I have 3 roo's. We have all had showdowns. Never back down. Carry something with you if you have to. We have come to a meeting of the minds for now:lol: Till the next time.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be ready when he attempts to flog you. Do not let him get away with aggressive behavior or it will escalate. Remember, you are the head rooster and he needs to know that fact.

7. ChickensAreSweet

If he attacks you, you can carry him around for a few minutes to let him know that you are boss. This is really embarrassing to a roo, for his ladies to see him like that.

And then, I always recommend- never keeping a nasty roo (what I mean by nasty is that you are always under threat of attack). [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  8. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Don't wait until he attacks you! That funny walk is a dominance display - teach him right now that you're the highest in the pecking order.

Walk straight at him until he backs up, then stride on past. Never give way to him, and never let him get away with walking at you or circling you. (Some people like to pick roosters up, but I prefer to teach them to keep their distance. I can catch them on the roost, if needed.)

Never, never let him get the idea of attacking you. Don't worry about cuddling him - you can cuddle the hens! [​IMG] Remember, what you think is being nice to him, he'll interpret as weakness. You don't have to hit him, just keep backing him up until he skitters out your way automatically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by