Is my silkie sick, or about to lay her first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MySuburbanLife, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MySuburbanLife

MySuburbanLife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Suburban Seattle
    My 28 week-old buff silkie (Tessa) has been exhibiting what I thought were signs that she is getting ready to lay her first egg:
    -her face has turned dark purplish-black, her comb is looking like a raisin on top of her head, and she's got little waddles
    -she squatted for me for the first time two days ago
    -she's getting rather vocal, and this morning was singing (her egg song?) so loud I ran out to the coop to see if the girls were being attacked
    -she started taking interest in the oyster shells I have set out free-choice

So this morning I've been out stalking the girls, hoping to witness this event. As I was watching Tessa closely, she seems to be acting strangely... and I'm not sure if it's first time egg-laying jitters for her, or she's not feeling well:
    -when she settles down and sits on the ground, she puffs up her feathers and her breathing seems labored. Her whole body moves as she breathes
    -when she walks around she occasionally stops and pulls one leg up under her. Then walks a few more steps and pulls the other leg up

She's eating and drinking normally. Is she just feeling/acting weird because this is her first egg, or does it sound like she's sick?

I'm a first-time egg mama, so I'm very nervous!

2. pollitaroja

pollitaroja Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Tampa, Florida
    I have a white silky she is the older of the coop. She is laying now but she doesn' make noises like all hens I've known. As I get different chickens I learn more different type of behaviors. I thinks is just wait and learn. Nature takes its many different ways.I wish you a happy outcome. Pollita roja allways

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by