Is my silkie sick or broody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SPARKLESILKIE, Dec 9, 2012.

1. SPARKLESILKIE

SPARKLESILKIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Hello![​IMG]
    Our silkie chicken has been acting wierd lately. We took her out of the chicken coop because our other chicken bit her. we brought her inside the house in the bathroom, and we take her out daily. But now she has been acting very strange. she usually stands in one spot. One day when we came home, she was standing behind the door. on the towel, was her first silkie egg. ever since that day she was acting strange. Then, she started to have alot of spit in her mouth. she is breathing a little bit funny. Before she was not pooping. but now she is eating, drinking, and pooping![​IMG] But she is still has alot of spit at her mouth.[​IMG] Is she broody or sick? Please reply soon!! Thanks!

2. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    There are no signs of being broody. Is she sitting on eggs????? Idk what the spit is.

3. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Thank you so much for replying! She is not sitting on eggs. But now she is shaking her head and she is also making noises that sound like she is trying to get the mucus out of her throat. I hope she is not cholking! do you have any idea of what this could be? thank you, and i hope you reply soon! [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Does she have any discharge from her nostrils? Can you open her mouth and see if anything looks unusual? Does she have any lesions in her throat?

5. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Hi. I do not know what a lesiere is. But when I opened her mouth, it was filled with clear mucus. I do not know if this is an emergency. Do you have any advice? Our silkie is named faith. Faith is a very close member of our family. Please check back soon! thank you for the response.!!

6. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Oh yes, Sorry. Do you have any numbers we could call for this? If so, that would be a huge help. We are trying everything to keep her healthy. i hope she is ok. Thanks!!!

7. RangingChicks

RangingChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Somewhere in the USA
    Lesions are sores. If she has mucus in her mouth she probably has it in her throat too. You might have to take her to the vet if it doesn't get better soon. Hope she gets well soon :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Thank you for the support and advice![​IMG]Do you have any numbers? if so, pleeeeeeeaaaaaassseeeee tell me. that would be a big help. You are so nice. Reply soon! bye.[​IMG]

9. RangingChicks

RangingChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Somewhere in the USA
    I am really not the one to give further advice. If I where you I would post that you need help in other active emergency forums where knowledgeable people can help you. Beyond what I told you I don't know that much about this situation. Sorry I can't be of anymore help, but I hope you can find someone who can :)

10. SPARKLESILKIE

Dec 9, 2012
    South Florida
    Thanks! I may try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by