Is my Silkie's comb correct?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GAChknGirl, Sep 7, 2010.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    I know his color isn't recognized but would he be a good rooster to breed to my silkie hens and what colors could i get?

[​IMG]

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Ohh no that not a good comb! The earlobes arent blue either. It should sort of look more like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have you read the standard? It say there should be a crease in the middle with small prominences on it. Almost more wider than long. The one in the pic is young and the comb will probably get much bigger. I wouldnt breed your bird but he is pretty!

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:He is an interesting looking bird! If you are not breeding for show, but just want a variety of backyard birds...it depends on what color he would be identified as first, and of course what color hens you want to breed him to. If he is a mix (which he looks like), you could get all sorts of colors. It also depends on the dominant color gene of the parent bird.

4. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:He is an interesting looking bird! If you are not breeding for show, but just want a variety of backyard birds...it depends on what color he would be identified as first, and of course what color hens you want to breed him to. If he is a mix (which he looks like), you could get all sorts of colors. It also depends on the dominant color gene of the parent bird.

im not breeding for show at all just want some pretty backyard birds! i have all colors of silkie hens

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY

im not breeding for show at all just want some pretty backyard birds! i have all colors of silkie hens

[​IMG] Go for those pretty backyard birds then! I love silkie crosses [​IMG] so hope the breeding works out for you!

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    had a Silkie (?) roo with exactly that kind of face! The only offspring I have from him is a lovechild with a Cochin, and the results are lovely! I think you should be happy with breeding him.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by