Is my Silver Laced Wyandotte a Hen or a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CalBickieMomma, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:53 PM.

1. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Chirping

Jul 27, 2019
    Howdy all! I have two Silver Laced Wyandottes and Agatha seemed to grow wattles overnight (more like a week) and has a slightly larger comb (though it doesn’t seem to be getting bigger), so I’m thinking she might actually be a roo. The only thing keeping me on the fence is the fact that the SLWs have more of a rose comb (and I always found that more difficult to distinguish male from female than the single comb varieties), and her legs don’t seem to be much larger (if at all) than her sister’s (Maisie). Anyhoo, I’m including pictures (they are 9 weeks old in these pictures, but will be 10 weeks old tomorrow (still no real change in Agatha’s wattles/comb size/leg size)). The one facing the right is Maisie (pretty sure she’s a girl) and the one facing left is Agatha). Thanks for any feedback/opinions!
    - Jenna

Attached Files:

chrissynemetz and Farmer Connie like this.
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Yup, looks like you got yourself a pair ... Agatha needs a new name.

CalBickieMomma likes this.
  3. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I'm not convinced either way. Could you post more pictures in a few weeks? If you have a cockerel it'll be more obvious by then. :)

ChickNanny13 and CalBickieMomma like this.
  4. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Chirping

Jul 27, 2019
    ChickenNanny13 - I’ve got a few lined up, but can’t decide (Abner, Augustus or Angus (Gus for short), Archibald (Archie for short) ... Might have to keep name browsing ;).

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Chirping

Jul 27, 2019
    Chrissynemetz: I’ve been taking weekly ‘portraits’, so I should be able to ;). I took pictures today, but I’m typing from my iPad and the ones of Agatha and Maisie aren’t showing up in my picture files on this device yet :p.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Looks like a cockerel to me. How old?

CalBickieMomma and chrissynemetz like this.
  7. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    Op said 9 weeks old. This is a cockerel. The solid white patch coming in on wings, the early developing rose comb caruncles and large wattles at only 9 weeks.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If the photos are two different birds, I suspect you might have two cockerels :( I'm not 100% on that though

9. cstephens1987

cstephens1987 Songster

Apr 25, 2019
    Carroll county, Maryland
    Oh yeah I missed that part. Both cockerels, I agree

CalBickieMomma and chrissynemetz like this.
  10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

According to feather pattern (blotchy lacing instead of clear) on the first one and waddle size on the second one... I would say BOTH are cockerels.

However, it could be poor genetics causing the lack of lacing since there is no sign of comb or waddles in the first pic. :pop

Something looks a bit off on these birds. The one sporting the waddles almost appears to be sporting a beard or a hint of muffs... where did they come from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: