1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is my sizzle a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by downtown chick, Jun 23, 2010.

1. downtown chick

downtown chick In the Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    Plant City
    I'm hoping that you can help me decide the sex of my black sizzle. It is 10 weeks old. It acts more like a pullet but I have no idea.

These pictures are not great but I hope that they might give you an idea. I have had roosters but I am having difficulty making a decision looking at the feathers because they are so different from the other breeds that I have had.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have cochins & had two sizzles who were boys. I'm by no means an expert, but generally, from what I've seen in cochins' single combs, if the comb is finely serrated & even at 10 wks, it's likely to be a girl. If it's developing bigger "teeth" and the serrations get bigger, more uneven, week to week, it's definitely a male. That looks like it might be male, but I can't be sure from the pics. In the first one, she does look sort of hen-shaped. My boys --now rehomed--started to crow at about 7 weeks lol.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. downtown chick

downtown chick In the Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    Plant City
    Thanks for your answer. This one is a mystery to me. I have spent a lot of time watching it. I have it in a coop with 11 other 10 week olds and 5 of them are mottled cochin roos. There is no question with those. I guess that I won't do anything until he/she crows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: