Is my SLW hen really a him?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by outlawfarmer, May 12, 2010.

1. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

My SLW is about 12 weeks now and is challengeing every other hen in the yard to a show off.
    Add in the red comb coming in, even though SLW get red ones, I am nervous.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your Lacey looks a lot like MY Lacey at that age. This is mine at nearly 8 months. She lays a smallish lightly tinted egg, not quite pink, not quite tan.

[​IMG]

3. outlawfarmer

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Awesome, thats the bird I dream of.. (odd I know)
    However if it turns roo she gotta go as Im in the city

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 SLW's that are 4 weeks old.

Four of them have a wide space where the comb will be...on one it is very dark pink. I've been worrying that these 4 are roo's.

One of the five has a regular comb but this chick did not look like the other 4 as a day old chick...didn't have the white stripes down her back or the white on the face...today she is really black with a few flecks of white coming in on the body. I'm thinking that this one may be a 'mutt'.

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have two 6 week SLW and I'm pretty sure one is a roo (even though all were supposed to be pullets). Both have reddish blobbie combs but the one has quite a set of waddles on her/him. I'm still hoping since I really can't keep a roo. I don't know what I'll do. Roos are hard to re-home and I couldn't put it in the pot.[​IMG]

6. outlawfarmer

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Not sure about your but part of my concern is that she is bossy with other hens trying to rule the roost.

[​IMG]

7. rhodewarrior

rhodewarrior Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Lakeside
    My last W hen (RIP) looked just like yours at 12 weeks and she was very bossy with the other girls. I hope this helps![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by