Is my speckled sussex a hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ajcondon, May 30, 2016.

1. ajcondon

ajcondon New Egg

Apr 23, 2013
    Hi all,
    This is our first time ever getting a speckled sussex and we are having a hard determining if 'it' is a hen or a rooster. Either way, we will keep the chicken (its very sweet) a[​IMG]
    s we dont have any roosters yet and we wanted to get one this year. Please help...our chicks are 10 1/2 weeks old. This chicken is much taller, has longer feathers and comb and waddle are much more pronounced than the others.
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Amanda
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Speckled sussex are hard to tell because both male and female have large waddles and combs. Can you get a pic of it standing? The stance of the bird tells a lot.

3. ajcondon

ajcondon New Egg

Apr 23, 2013
    Here it is stan[​IMG]
    ding up....
    [​IMG]

4. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    My guess is hen. By the way, :welcome Welcome to BYC! Join us sometime on the sussex thread.:D

5. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    By the way, I showed hubby the pics, and he said definitely rooster.....:confused:.

6. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    My SS rooster held his tail higher than the pullets/hens. Your SS has its tail feathers down. That is why I vote pullet! Please keep me posted, (so I can tell hubby who is right). :D

7. ajcondon

ajcondon New Egg

Apr 23, 2013
    I will definitely keep you posted! Whatever he/she is...it is a very sweet chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by