Is my sweet Barred Rock girl actually a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by markangie28, May 14, 2011.

1. markangie28

markangie28 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    My Barred Rock is around 3 months and acts like a rooster (protective, brave, has a large dark comb). No crowing yet. What do you think ? I added one more top view for feather viewing.
    Angie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I dunno.... It's a toughie, but I would expect extreme largeness by now from a roo.

Are the saddle ffeathers rounded? They look roundish to me.

ETA: I see jaunty feathers poking out of the back....changing my vote to roo.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Yep, that's a roo. See how light overall he looks? Girls should be darker. And that's a large and red comb.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes.

5. markangie28

May 7, 2011
    I am so sad, but I guess I am blessed he is so sweet. So far I only have 1 laying hen who likes to set, and she is a barred rock. So maybe this will work out? Will I have totally mixed breeds if this is my only rooster in with RIRs, New Hampshire Reds and White Rocks? I am not sure which characteristic is usually passed on.

6. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Red&Yellow :

Yep, that's a roo. See how light overall he looks? Girls should be darker. And that's a large and red comb.

i agree.​

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The crosses you'd have with the red hens would produce a very nice birds. Not sure what the outcome would be with the White Rock, however. Mottled would be my guess. Of course, you'd also get some straight BRs since you have a BR hen. If he stays sweet. If. Sometimes they go bonkers when the hormones kick in.

8. markangie28

May 7, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. I can't have a roo after my kiddos. Hopefully he will stay sweet.
    Angie

9. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the Barred Rock x RIR will give you sex link...I know RIR roo x BR hen will so i assume the otherway around will too.....you will be able to tell thier sex upon hatching....A great egg-laying bird!!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:No, it would not be a sex link. Has to be a barred hen and red rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by