1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is my sweet Debbie really a roo?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by New Chickadee, Sep 16, 2011.

1. New Chickadee

New Chickadee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Ventura, CA
    My little Debbie (buff orpington) is my favorite of the flock. She's the most snuggly and friendly and perhaps beautiful. But I'm starting to wonder if she's actually a he! This is my first time owning chickens, so I'd appreciate some help. The oldest in the flock is about 5 months, and Debbie is about 4 months...but she's already bigger than the rest of them. And her red flesh around the face has grown much faster. And her feet are bigger. Now I've started hearing someone making sad crowing noises, like she's trying to learn how to crow. I can't say for sure yet, but I'm pretty sure it's Debbie. If she's a he, I have to find a new home for her since we live in the city, but I love her so dearly! Please say she's a she. [​IMG] If you need different pics, let me know and I'll post tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I see pointy saddle feathers and big honkin' legs. Debbie looks like a roo to me.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't see any real saddle feathers (those are just slightly curled ones, girls have 'em too. At this age a boy's saddle feathers are small and on the top center of the back) but yes, that's a boy.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Debbie looks more like a Danny to me! Nice rooster!

5. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Looks like a very nice young Cockerel you have there.
    Hope that does not change your feelings. So of my best birds have been roosters.
    Best of luck!

6. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Sorry, I have to go with roo. [​IMG] Tail/saddle feathers, legs, and wattle look male (and nothing like my BO pullets).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Debbie needs a new name. Sorry.

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Those neck feathers are too pointy, poor Debbie is a boy.

9. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Sweet Debbie is a Delbert, I'm afraid [​IMG]

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    uh oh looks like a rooster to me. love him anyway he is beautiful. wish i had a buff orpington rooster. id name him dillon

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by