Is my turkeys ready for butchering

Shanyacohn624

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2022
I got two turkeys in April would they be ready to be butchered in late November? I'm looking at a different breed of turkeys for next year.

Attachments

• received_1334532267388456.jpeg
    received_1334532267388456.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • received_629697938805992.jpeg
    received_629697938805992.jpeg
    946.2 KB · Views: 4
  • received_876364703583413.jpeg
    received_876364703583413.jpeg
    944.3 KB · Views: 4
  • received_508079284549451.jpeg
    received_508079284549451.jpeg
    941.8 KB · Views: 4
What size/weight range are you going for?
You can butcher at any time you desire. For a smaller bird, butcher sooner, for a larger bird, butcher later.

We butchered ours this month at the age of 5 months, live weights were 34.88lbs, & 34.68lbs. So, we have about 2, 32lb(Estimated)Turkeys in the freezer.

Last edited:
I got two turkeys in April would they be ready to be butchered in late November? I'm looking at a different breed of turkeys for next year.
You can process your turkeys at any age you want to process them.

If they are broad breasted turkeys, they will be really big by November. If they are heritage turkeys, they will be much smaller.

You can switch to a different variety next year but the breed will still be Turkey. All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

What size/weight range are you going for?
You can butcher at any time you desire. For a smaller bird, butcher sooner, for a larger bird, butcher later.

We butchered ours this month at the age of 4 months, live weights were 34.88lbs, & 34.68lbs. So, we have about 2, 32lb(Estimated)Turkeys in the freezer.
At least a 20-30 pound bird since we only have these two it's our first time with turkeys they were just littles when we got them it's was like the ending of April we got them.

You can process your turkeys at any age you want to process them.

If they are broad breasted turkeys, they will be really big by November. If they are heritage turkeys, they will be much smaller.

You can switch to a different variety next year but the breed will still be Turkey. All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.
One is bronze and the other is broadbreast I believe

One is bronze and the other is broadbreast I believe
The Bronze also looks to be a broad breast. They come in both white and bronze.

You may want to get their live weights now. Multiply the live weight by 0.6 to get an idea of how much they will dress out to now.

If you got them in April and they are broad breasted, you may already be at your desired processed weights.

The Bronze also looks to be a broad breast. They come in both white and bronze.

You may want to get their live weights now. Multiply the live weight by 0.6 to get an idea of how much they will dress out to now.

If you got them in April and they are broad breasted, you may already be at your desired processed weights.
Thank you Soo much!

At least a 20-30 pound bird since we only have these two it's our first time with turkeys they were just littles when we got them it's was like the ending of April we got them.
They should be around that mark by now.
Actually over that mark, they're 6 months old.

Got mine in May, so 5 months, not 4. I skipped a month somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom