1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Wellie about to start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Echolalia, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Bertha, my 24 week old Wellsummer has been acting strangely today. She has been "talking" all day long (more like shouting, really), so much that I went down to check on her twice.
    She's always been more vocal than the other hens but she's really upped the ante today. Normally she quiets down a bit when I show up but each time I went down today she was loudly singing what sounds like an egg song, but in a really angry way - if James Hetfield was a hen, it's what his "egg song" would sound like.

I saw what looked like a perfectly formed nest in the straw under a tree. When I went over to see if there was an egg in there, she got even more agitated. I picked her up and brought her over there with me (the fact that she is more willing to let me pick her up is also making me suspicious), she seemed to get angrier and louder about me rooting around. No egg was found.

What do y'all think - are wellie eggs in my near future?

2. Echolalia

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    I just looked out the window and she is sitting in her little nest; soaking up the sun and happy as can be.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Your gonna get an egg soon!

4. Echolalia

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Well I went down again and Bertha was in her little nest crouched down low, ninja-style, with just her eyes, beak and comb sticking up. When I went closer, she started up the angry heavy metal egg song, and this time, the other girls joined in. It was like a scene out of the 1970's remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". [​IMG]

I backed away. Last I saw, she was picking up pieces of straw and putting them on her back.

5. Echolalia

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    She laid an egg!!! It's the cutest little thing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by