1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

is my yard too small for six chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ambersaur, Jan 2, 2015.

1. ambersaur

ambersaur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Haven't had chickens before and want to let them free range, live in New Zealand not really any predators to worry about, how much space do they need? (Excuse renovations)

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    not too small, but when letting them free range, they might tear your yard up :) chickens can be fine in small spaces, so it is all in how much of your yard you want to be bare :p

3. ambersaur

ambersaur Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014

Thankyou! Haha good to know x

4. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    So true, I had beautiful gardens in my back yard and then I got chickens, wow they mowed the whole yard, I am amazed the grass still grows. Your yard seem pretty nice space for a few chickens. You will need to make sure you have a coop for them to protect themselves from rain or snow, depending on your weather. Also some areas where they can hide from any possible predators. Good luck!

5. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    your welcome :)

2x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by