Is netting OK to put over top of run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sophiejw, Jul 14, 2011.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I have a new chicken run that is 18.5 feet by 18.5 feet. But I'm worried to use it as the fence is just under 6ft high but there is a slope up the way behind it so in some bits it's not as high as the rest. We have a neighbourhood fox so I want to be sure it's safe before I start using it.

We were thinking about putting brackets that stuck out at a 45 degree angle and putting barbed wire around the run attached to the brackets which would be on the top of the poles so as to give more height and make it harder for the fox. Then I was thinking about putting wood along the top and then chicken netting over the top but when I actually went to look at it again realised how much of a pain that would be to do. Then I had (what I hope is) a brainwave- what about fishermens netting? I've found it in 25 foot by 12 foot sections so I would need two. I'd put them over with an overlap in the middle and cable tie / somehow attach it all so it was secure. The holes in the netting are 4". Would this be OK to keep foxes out? (or if one did get in hopefully it would keep it trapped in there til I could get someone to dispose of it permanantly the next day.

Just wondered if people thought this might be a good idea, or if there are drawbacks to this plan I haven't thought of....

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My run is 20' x 30' square. And over the top, my hubby had to help me with this, we used this poultry netting.

http://www.amazon.com/Netting-Bird-...4XQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310672307&sr=8-1

What we did was stick 3 poles in the ground, evenly spaced between the 30', and on the top of the poles put cookie tin lids for supporting the netting. So when strung the net over the run, it looks like a circus tent set up. I have had this in place for one year and so far, I have not had a single critter try to enter it, including hawks. This may or may not work for you, but it was pretty cheap to buy and was easy to handle, even at a 50' length. It is a woven plastic and is very durable and doesn't appear to be easy to chew, especially on the angle we have it at. It is UV resistant and is supposed to last 5 years they say. The squares are 2 inch, so it should keep most stuff out. I have not had a single critter problem to date.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It does look similar to what I have put up. But do some research to make sure it has strand strength so that if something does climb on it or try to chew it, it will not break down too fast. But you got the right idea! Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by