Is NoLo bait safe for fowl?

BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
I would like to apply NoLo bait to get rid of the grasshoppers around my flower beds. The packaging says its safe for birds to eat infected grasshoppers (NoLo contains a bacterium). Does anyone use it or know if it's safe to use around my chickens and turkeys?

I just went to their website and looked at the MSDS. Looks pretty harmless but who knows, so I went to their FAQ page:

Will NoLo Bait hurt my dog, cat, birds or other pets?
No. The active disease organism in NoLo Bait is host-specific to grasshoppers and Mormon crickets which are actually a species of grasshopper. Any other non-target insect, bird or mammal that ingest the bait or eats an infected grasshopper will not be affected. The disease organism will pass through their digestive system without being active.

Last summer I had a plague of grasshoppers, they literally hung off the house, the chainlink fence, ate everything and killed about half my landscaping. I had use Nolo bait as soon as I saw the baby grasshoppers. Didn't do squat. I had to cover whatever I wanted to keep w/ agribon cloth or shade net. I had only 12 chickens last year. This year I have had a average of 35+ chickens since early spring, and I occasionally see a grasshopper that is half grown. My chickens free range about 4 hours a day since it has gotten hot. In the spring it was more like 10-12 hours, letting one coop out at a time. I see very few bugs despite the drought.
I personally won't bother w/ Nolo bait again. It will attract the grasshoppers, and is not effective if the hoppers are large. If they eat it when small, it kills them. I was devastated last year when I couldn't control them. If you want really good bug control, try guineas, but they are really noisy. I am happy w/ the job the chickens have done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom