1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. kansasgirlinutah

kansasgirlinutah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Do I absolutely need to have any kind of litter in the coop? I have a linoleum floor there now, so fairly easy to sweep and clean up. What's wrong with "nothing" on the floor?

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    The only thing I can think of is that the poop would build up faster since it's not "mixing" with the pine shavings and the surface would be slippery.

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    You have to have something on the floor because they will be spending time in there and will be pooing on the floor. It will get real messy and if it dries it will be a pain trying to scrape all of it out. The litter manages the poo. It keeps it dry which helps with flys and disease from spreading. It really is a lifesaver to have litter in there. You just put it down and they will mix it up for you and if you are going the deep litter method which most people do, you just add more litter to it every so often and once a year you clean it all out.

4. kansasgirlinutah

Apr 18, 2011
    I was at the local farm store and asked them about the deep litter method and they said they had never heard of it. So I told them what it was and they said that only dirty, lazy people would do that and that's where alot of diseases come from. One person there said they use nothing and another person said they use pine shavings, but clean them out every month. I guess I can only try different methods and see which one I like best. I think I'm leaning towards sand at this point.

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I don't see how it would be dirtier than not having anything on the floor at all to contain or control the level of poop that would accumulate but everyone has their way of what works for them and what doesn't. It is all a matter of opinion and what works with what you want and need.
    It is up to you as to what you prefer but I though I would give you and idea of how the litter method works, at least in my case. I use pine shavings and I pour it all in there and they seem to throw it all around by themselves. I make sure that it is mixed in and nothing gets overly dirty. Add shavings as you go and then when spring comes around I spring clean. Scrub everything out and restart.
    I hopes this helps you out a little. [​IMG]

6. kansasgirlinutah

Apr 18, 2011
    Thank you for your replies. I appreciate your sharing you own methods with me. I know many here on BYC have stated that they use the deep litter method with no bad effects. Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Has nothing to do with deep litter or not for me, but vinyl flooring can be slippery. I don't want my chickens trying to hop down from the roost or next box and injuring a leg by slipping. [​IMG]

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    A farm store which caters to large flocks of chickens may not appreciate the value of the deep litter method for a small backyard flock. I personally prefer sand, scooped each day as I have more for my compost pile. Regardless, if I asked a question and was spoken to like you described I probably wouldn't shop there again. Customer service would serve best to have an open dialogue with a customer, ask questions, offer personal insight and guidance and not refer to someone's methods as "dirty" unless they had personal knowledge of the practice. JMO

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:^ yes this ... and when I first introduced my birds to their coop I put the litter in an upside down U shape, thinking I could walk into the U part without walking on shavings --- nooo [​IMG] the poop was smeared all over the linoleum where litter wasn't present.
    Litter on top of the linoleum = much better & dryer & comfortable for them too.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I put in linoleum and then on top the wood chips. It stays dry for me and is easy to clean out . Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by