Is now the wrong time to let my EE hatch chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aframechickens191, May 30, 2010.

1. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    I went out to gather eggs earlier and my EE hen would not let me into her box to get the egg she layed! of course, i didnt try very hard either lol. but she has been in the box all day; ive only seen her come out 2 times, not for very long. id be delighted if she hatched 3 or 4 chicks, but is June in OH a bad time for chicks outside? Will they be old enough to survive the fall? Im worried and skeptical....id be grateful for any ideas [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

That would give them a good 12 weeks before fall really starts to set in. They would be fully feathered by then and you shouldn't have a problem with them. I would go ahead and let her have her hatch if you want more chickens.

3. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    That would give them a good 12 weeks before fall really starts to set in. They would be fully feathered by then and you shouldn't have a problem with them. I would go ahead and let her have her hatch if you want more chickens.

Thank you! i wasnt quite sure as i have never raised bantams from chicks, but i think this should be nice for my girl! If it all works out i will post pics! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by