Is Nugget's son Cobalt old enough to be fertile?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WriterofWords, Jan 15, 2010.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Nugget's son Cobalt (yes that is the name chosen) is mounting any hen he can catch, and boy he's fast! He was hatched in late July or August so I was wondering if he is old enough to be "doing the job" properly? If he is I'm going to give him his own little flock, he is a wonderful rooster! He has all of Nugget's good points and all of his mommy Fluffy Butt's good points. He's a real treasure! He's also going to be as big if not bigger than his daddy, he's twice the size Nugget was at this age.
    [​IMG]

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    6 months old? He is not as big or as beautiful as he will be at a year old, but if he is crowing and mounting hens- his male hormones are certainly present.... I don't see why you shouldn't give him his own flock if you have the space. Or if he gets along with his daddy, you can have two roosters with a large flock together. I have 2 flocks which mix at the margin, and 5 roosters that go where they want to during the day- and roost in their respective coops at night. One boy goes off with the wide ranger group during the day. The rest range around the coops. As for whether he is truly fertile yet- only one way to know! Hatch some!

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you! His daddy unfortunately passed away, but he has his favorites,,, anything with feathers! There are three of my bigger hens that seem to prefer his attentions so I'll see about their own quarters!

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    He seems to have found his own girls, my two puffy-cheeked pretty ladies. One lays green eggs, the other I'm not sure about, but they welcome his advances. I might get some Nugget Grandkids!

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:At least he is choosing something with feathers LOL. Not Palmolive.
    He is one good looking dude! Nugget grandbabies would be awesome. Funny how life goes, isn't it? Not too long ago, there wasn't even much hope to have Nugget babies. Now, you can have Nugget grandbabies..

6. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:You lost Nugget? I missed that thread! So sorry to hear that. Nugget is legendary. I never laughed so hard as I did from the story of Nugget scaring off the skunk and giving Blue a fainting spell.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:You lost Nugget? I missed that thread! So sorry to hear that. Nugget is legendary. I never laughed so hard as I did from the story of Nugget scaring off the skunk and giving Blue a fainting spell.

Yes we had winds one day over 100mph and he was injured, this is the link to that thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=274627

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:At least he is choosing something with feathers LOL. Not Palmolive.
    He is one good looking dude! Nugget grandbabies would be awesome. Funny how life goes, isn't it? Not too long ago, there wasn't even much hope to have Nugget babies. Now, you can have Nugget grandbabies..

[​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    LOL yeah,, that is a good thing! I'd just like to get some offspring before he gets too big for the ladies!

10. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I bet the hens think he's dreamy [​IMG]

Nugget would be proud. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by