Is Numa a Boy? (Muscovy) **NEW PICS**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here are some new, better pictures of Numa

Numa is 3 months old

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Numa with Mommy
    [​IMG]

Numa with Daddy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Numa with Unrelated drake
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I would say drake but hard to tell without anything to compare him with. How old is he?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Numa is about 3 months old. it was the only survivor out of 14eggs so I dont even have any of the 'clutch-mates'. all my others are older.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    id say drake just because of those feet! geeze

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yeah, those whoppers blew up in like a week, i swear!

I have already e-mailed a guy just in case i do need to rehome him. so hopefully the guy will take him in for his boys.

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    Looks like a drake

7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    He sort of looks like a drake, but it is hard to tell. Listen to see if he/she hisses and I also find my drake's feathers are different to my duck [​IMG] When he/she gets a bit older drakes have big red lumps compared to the female, and if he is that young I'm sure it wont hurt to keep him for a while til he gets bigger. Maybe find some one with same aged muscovies to compare with? anyway good luck

8. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    I'm going to be the odd man out again but I actually think it's a duck. It's hard to say with 100% certainty because it's always nice to have another bird for comparison, but also because of the angle of the photo. I say for no more caruncling than it has and how the primaries are already in it appears to be a girl. JMO

9. mrsmarkham

mrsmarkham Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Ok, so 2 odd ones out. I would say hen, carunkles aren't that developed yet, primaries are in, tail is fairly narrow, chest is fairly narrow and where is the mohawk? My drakes have broader tails, had carunkles coming in by 10 wks, and mohawks that make the neighbor's kid jealous LOL

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

OMG!! This makes me SO happy. I am going to have to keep Numa longer to make sure now. I am really really praying for a girl. I lost Velvet earlier this year, 1 of only 2 black hens so i wanted another.

I will have to post some updated pictures in about a week.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now Numa's about 3months old, if its a boy should he have the little 'nub' at the top of his bill? Right now the curuncling is pretty small & even, not lumpy at all yet.

I had this same problem with my last young'n, thought it was a boy for the longest time but now i have a beautiful silver HEN [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by