Is occasional gaping normal?

annmarie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
I've noticed one of my hens gaping every so often the past week or two. It's not that I've never seen any of my chickens do this, but now that I've seen it a few times from the same hen, I'm wondering if this is a cause for concern. She isn't showing any sign of illness. Is occasional gaping normal?

yes its normal my one buff orp does it, from what i have noticed is they may be moving stuff around in thier crop. my one girl listed above likes to eat feathers why i dont know cause the other 2 dont all i can say is yes its normal (my goofy girl). dont fret its OKAY lol

Thank you! And I'm glad you mentioned the feather eating part. This hen has begun molting and I wonder if perhaps while preening herself she's getting a mouthful of feathers. Sorry about the fretting. I'm a rather laid-back person but when it comes to my critters I seem to be a bit of a maniac.
barnie.gif

thats okay no prob, but it is funny how only the one does it and not the others. and of coarse the silly girl wont go and get a drink. i fret and figit too cause my girls are pets so i know where you are comming from.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom