Is one a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by packinaglock, Sep 11, 2008.

1. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I have two Bared rocks chicks about three weeks old. I noticed one has a tail about one and a half inches long and the other is maybe a half inch at best. Is this an indication that one is a rooster? Thanks in advance:)

2. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Can you post a piture of them? We would be able to help more if there was. [​IMG]

3. packinaglock

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'll see what I can do when I get home from work:)

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    What are the combs looking like? Is one more pronounced than the other? If so, the one with the larger comb is the roo. My RIR girls grew longer tails first and then were passed up by the roos once they were a little older.

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    At 3 weeks it is almost impossible to tell anything. Not even fully feathered yet. Chicks go though many changes as they grow. A friend has 8 Bo's and one would swear 3 are roos. Large combs and wattles and 19 weeks old. They are now laying eggs. Go figure. John

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I always could tell BR roosters at 3-4 weeks and none ever layed eggs. Only my EEs were ever difficult. You should be able to tell a BR by 5 weeks at least. The comb at 3 weeks should be different already.

7. packinaglock

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:Well now that you mention it one of them does have a noticably bigger and red comb, but it is the one with the short stubby tail. I would have thought it would be the other way around. I will get pic's up soon.

8. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:Well now that you mention it one of them does have a noticably bigger and red comb, but it is the one with the short stubby tail. I would have thought it would be the other way around. I will get pic's up soon.

That's the way it was with my RIR's. My bet, you have a roo.

9. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I have 3 little red roos about 5 weeks old with noticable combs and wattles and ear lobes. Two have short stubby tails.

One of my older roos had a short tail for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by