Is one of each breed ok?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jenna14Chicken, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Hey everyone I plan on getting some chicks from Meyer Hatchery next year. Is it ok if I get one female Easter Egger,one female buff laced polish,one female black copper Marans, one female olive egger, one female silver laced polish, and one female buff Brahma? Or do you think I don't get all the breeds I want and get two of some of the breeds I want? Thanks for any help! :)
    Jenna

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Nope, you can mix and match any way you like. All breeds and varieties can be kept together without an issue, barring any nastiness from an individual bird.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Heavy breeds tend to pick on polish because they can't see well growing up. May have to separate them until the get grown.

4. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Darn.... I can't separate them... but I really want them... Amy ideas besides separate them and not get?

5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I have had my share of polish and never again. They're just too noisy for me... The hens are very vocal. Plus the extra work when the other chickens pluck the feathers out of their crests and I have to put no-pick on all the time. Just my experience.... :D

Oh I almost forgot some have terrible vision from feathers obscuring their view and trimming the feathers around the face can be tedious as its close the their eyes and the feathers have quills which can bleed a lot. Even after trimming vision can still be poor from predators like Hawks etc...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  6. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Ok I have decided not to get them even thou I want them I want the best for me and my family and troubles with my birds is very stressful

7. Jenna14Chicken

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    Thank you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by