Is one of my Buff Orpingtons a rooster????

kristinkarol

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
I am trying to figure out if one of my Buff Orpingtons is acually a rooster, but this forum will not let post a picture for review. The one that I believe to be a rooster is smaller and the comb and wattles are redder and bigger. The other is not even showing yet. Maybe I can send my pictures to someone for help. The site said that I can put pictures on my profile but not on forums yet because I am new.

They are around 16-18 weeks old.

Thanks
Kristin

Last edited:
Hi Kristin,
welcome-byc.gif

Unfortunately, a bunch of evil spammers have caused the change, you'll be able to post pics soon.

Usually, IME anyway, the rooster will have faster red comb and wattle development, thicker legs and some pointed, shiny neck (hackle) and rear end (saddle) feathers coming in. How old are you chickens? That can make a difference.

I would say that they are about 16 weeks old, I got them in September but don't remember if it was at the first or end of Septmember.

Thanks!

They are pretty!

I just got some BO babies, can't wait until they get bigger. I think the age will definitely help. That one sure has bigger/redder comb than the other, but the tail doesn't look roo to me.

Quote:
Ok, I am going to go back on what I told you. Very well could be getting closer to POL - because by 16 weeks, saddle feathers on a cockerel would be well developed and starting to stream down his sides. So I am going to say SHE
wee.gif
until you say you heard a crow - and that should have started already also. (should cause some are just late bloomers)

Back
Top Bottom