Is one of my EE's a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SouthernOregonChick, Aug 7, 2011.

1. SouthernOregonChick

SouthernOregonChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    So I had ordered 5 "pullets," but I am thinking that one of them is really a roo. I knew there is always a chance that a roo will get sexed wrong and thrown in, so I am not too surprised. I am just curious if anyone can tell... they are only a month old. The one I suspect is a rooster has legs that are almost twice as big as all of the others' and it stands much higher. It's feathers have also come in differently, and it is much much more aggressive and doesn't like to be held. It seems like it's whole body is a bit different, it's legs and thigh muscles are just completely different than the other chicks, much larger, more muscular and longer. It's tail feathers are different than the others' as well, they are shorter and stick up more. In the pics I hope to show how different this chick looks from the others. Let me know what you guys think! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I would be listening for a crow in a couple months. It is hard to tell, but it looks like there might be some red coming in on the shoulders, and the chick certainly stands like a boy on those tree trunk legs.

3. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Aw he's so cute! I'd say you're right.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes the stance and thick legs,say roo but time will tell. [​IMG]

5. SouthernOregonChick

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! I sure think "he" stands like a boy. I can't wait to see for sure!
    I am almost positive it's a roo now, mostly because of "his" temperment.
    He hates being held, whereas all of the other EE's are very docile and friendly. He squawks and pecks when you hold him, but a couple of "pecks" with my finger and he calms right down.
    He also flies at the other chicks and at us.
    Does that sound like roo behavior, or just an unfriendly hen?

6. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    We hatched a bunch of eggs this spring, and so we had to deal with the "he or she" question a lot. The funny thing was that 2 of my 3 favorite, loving, sweet, wanting to be held birds turned out to be roosters. The joke around my house is that any chick that seems super nice and jumps up to be held must be a roo. (Still have one that loves me and we can't tell yet if it's a roo or not!) That said, we saw aggressive behavior from them toward the other chicks. From your pics your chick does look like a roo. Hope you can keep him or find a nice home for him. [​IMG]

7. SouthernOregonChick

Jul 15, 2011
    :) Very funny! Fortunately we moved to a very chicken friendly neighborhood, 2 of my neighbors already have roos! So I we are definitely going to keep our boy. Plus I like the idea of my hens having a little protector while they are free ranging around the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by