Is one roo to 7 hens ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BCMominMD, Apr 21, 2009.

1. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    I am new to chickens. My first ever feed store chicks (eight of them) are now 5 weeks old and one of the white rocks is definately a roo. All others so far look like the pullets they are supposed to be. I live on 3+ acres - not too close to the neighbors so I figure why not just go with it and see how things turn out.
    I've read here about some breeds being more aggressive then others, that 8-12 to 1 is a good ratio, and then some pretty awful stories of bad situations.
    Do I have one of the aggressive breeds? Do I have too few hens? Can anyone share stories of why they love having a single rooster in their flock?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one rooster to 14 hens. Used to have 2 roos, 16 hens but rehomed one roo and his two favorite hens.
    I think you'll be fine with 1 roo to 7 hens. In reality a roo is going to pick his favorite girls to lavish his "attention" on, so even if you had 14 hens or whatever he's going to mate his favorites most. My roo has five favorite girls.
    Love my roo. He feeds the hens, protects them and breaks up fights when the girls are feeling cranky.
    I'm not familiar with that breed. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

3. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I have one Easter Egger rooster to my seven hens (1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Black Australorp, and 4 Isa Browns) and it seems to work out perfectly. I also have five Easter Egger pullets (although I think one might be a roo) that are almost 11 weeks old that will be added to the mix. Our rooster is a perfect gentleman. Good luck!

4. BCMominMD

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    I want to do everything right. He is a funny little guy and I'd like to keep him. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Do you have a picture of your White Rock roo? I have 3 definite roos, 4 counting my adult one. But my White Rock I'm going back and forth on. I'm not sure if its a cockerel or a pullet.

Yours is the same age as mine.

Laurie

6. BCMominMD

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    I'm not too techno savvy so no current picture. BUT it's pretty obvious as his comb and wattles are bright red, his back is still not feathered and I've noticed his legs are a little thicker. His sister is very fluffy all over with feathers and her comb is pale.
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Bcmominmd.

sounds like
    you have a happy roo.the more talking I do to
    mine the calmer he gets and
    stopped his chest bumping LOL
    hes too beautiful to rehome
    so hes here to stay. but I carry a big stick just